Here you may find some useful information that will help you answer most of your questions when preparing for laser eye surgery.
1. HOW TO PREPARE FOR LASER VISION CORRECTION?
No special preparation is required, but before surgery we recommend:
- do not use eye cosmetics (eyeshadow, mascara) for several days,
- do not wear contact lenses within the time limit specified by the doctor (glasses are possible),
- arrive dressed comfortably (you will need to lie on your back),
- on the day of surgery, due to laser sensitivity, do not use aerosols – perfume, hairspray, etc.
2. HOW WILL EVERYTHING HAPPEN ON OPERATION DAY?
On the day of the operation, you will take about 1.5 hours at the clinic. For the convenience of patients, we recommend coming to the clinic with one accompanying person.
Upon your arrival, you will get acquainted and sign the contract and consent to the operation. Before the operation, our specialists may check the vision again or repeat/perform some eye examinations. You will be told about the whole laser eye surgery procedure and anesthetic eye drops will be dripped. The operation lasts up to 20 minutes, during which you do not feel uncomfortable.
You will be given information on how to behave in the postoperative period, as well as eye drops and be able to go home. We recommend having sunglasses that will protect you from direct exposure to light, wind, and dust.
If you have children, we recommend that you may find who could help to take care of them on the first day after surgery. Do not plan any active activities in the first days after surgery.
You will need to arrive for the first postoperative examination in a few days. Other visits – as needed and/or by the doctor’s recommendation.
3. WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE FEELINGS AFTER THE OPERATION?
It is very individual for everyone.
Immediately after the operation, you will feel not bad for a few hours, you will see quite well. Later, there will be an eye reaction to the surgery – a possible feeling of discomfort, foreign object in the eye, itching, tearing (1-3 days). In the postoperative period, the eyes will become more sensitive, eye fatigue will occur more quickly, and the feeling of dry eyes may appear or intensify. During the adaptation period, a blurred vision may be possible over a certain distance (such as selecting the subject you want to focus on the camera), which may make it more difficult to drive at night. You may experience a slightly fluctuating vision for up to 6 months after surgery.
All these feelings are temporary and reduced by the eye drops prescribed by the doctor, and will pass after the adaptation period when eyes get used to the changed curve of cornea and refractive power.
4. HOW LONG WILL TAKE THE VISION TO RECOVER? WHEN CAN I BACK TO WORK?
After eye laser surgery, the effect of good vision is achieved quickly, but the healing period is different for everyone. It depends on the method of surgery and the individual case of each patient. After the operation, you can live without glasses immediately, but for some time there is a blurred vision at certain distances – do not worry, it is normal, the eyes and brain get used to the changes and information processing. The full effect of the operation is achieved in a few months.
The ability to work after the operation depends on the health of the eyes and the working conditions of your work. We recommend 1 to 2 weeks’ rest. The bulletin is not issued after laser eye surgery, we advise you to plan the procedure in your free time.
5. HOW TO TAKE POST-OPERATIVE CARE OF THE EYES?
After the operation, it is important to follow the doctor’s instructions, the recommended treatment, it is necessary to drip eye drops prescribed by the doctor. It is especially important to come for the first postoperative visit..
Information during the recovery period:
- Contact lenses are worn after the operation – they will be removed during the first postoperative examination. Do not rub eyes or touch contact lenses.If they accidentally dropped, do not put back – throw them away.
- In the first days after the operation, you will feel discomfort – foreign object in the eye, tearing, fear of light, it may hurt.
- After removing the contact lenses on a postoperative visit, the eyes will be more sensitive for some time, but there should be no long-lasting unpleasant feelings..
- Vision (both near and far) recovers gradually, may be different in each eye, ranging up to 4-6 weeks postoperatively. There must be no long-term visual impairment.
- The most common complaint during a postoperative period is dry eyes, which is felt in the morning (it is more difficult to open your eyes), do not worry – this is a normal condition during the healing.
- Treatment is continued with doctor-prescribed eye drops, which are recommended in conjunction with artificial tears. Later – only artificial tears on demand.
- Do not rub or injure the eyes during the first weeks.
- Drip the drops after washing your hands carefully.
- Do not use eye cosmetics while applying eye drops.
- While going outside in the sun for up to 6 months after surgery put on sunglasses, do not use the solarium.
- Avoid activities with an increased risk of eye trauma (contact sports, basketball, martial arts, tennis, etc.), risk of infection (sauna, lake, swimming pool).
- There are no restrictions on screens (telephones, computers, televisions, etc.).
- There are no restrictions on flights.
At the LIREMA Eye Clinic, we strive to make the laser eye surgery procedure a pleasant experience for our patients, so we are always ready to answer all your questions. In case of urgent need, write an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org